Thursday, March 3, 2011

Italian Cuisine with Japanese's Touch = Capricciosa

Capricciosa, a new and trendy Italian restaurant in town, founded by Japanese chef. I don't really remember the founder's name, who cares, right? As long as the food is good, I'll be returning! Capricciosa is founded by award winning chef Masaaki Honda in Shibuya, Tokyo, way back from 1978 and the outlet in Sunway Pyramid is the first one in Malaysia. Capricciosa has now 134 restaurants across the world and is visited by approximately 12 million guests each year.

‘Capricciosa’ is an Italian word for the term ‘Caprice’, conjuring images of spontaneous gatherings in little Italian eateries where lots of people enjoy delicious food with great companies.

The dish that still fresh in my mind was the Calamari and Onions in Squid Ink Sauce spaghetti, squid ink being an ingredient I’ve heard so much about. After the first bite, I feel "mmmm, ooooo....kay, what's the taste". It actually tasted like Fried Hokkien Noodles to me, lol.

Capricciosa-16

Above: Calamari and Onions in Squid Ink Sauce (RM16.90)

 Capricciosa-6

Above: Italian Vegetable and Meat Soup (RM7.90) – creamy and savoury, very good!

There was even a pizza with the name Quattro Formaggi, to signify the 4 types of cheese used, as well as to proclaim the importance of cheese in Italian cuisine.

Capricciosa-9

Above: Quattro Formaggi (RM17.90)

Another dish with a cheesy feature inside was the Rice Croquette, which was a deep-fried ball of risotto stuffed with mozzarella cheese and meat sauce.

Capricciosa-23

Above: Rice Croquette, Sicilian Style (RM12.90)

Next was Eggplant Gratin had fresh eggplant baked with tomato cream sauce topped with parmesan cheese. But be warned not to be overdosed by cheese.

Capricciosa-17

Above: Eggplant Gratin (RM15.90)

Capricciosa‘s version of pizza with beef bacon, beef pepperoni, mushrooms and bell peppers. Not bad I would say, recommended !

Capricciosa-10

Above: Capricciosa Pizza (RM16.90)

For Capricciosa, their simplest pasta was the Tomato Sauce with Garlic and Pepper, which was just alright, nothing to shout about.

Capricciosa-11

Above: Tomato Sauce with Garlic and Peppers (RM14.90)

The next spaghetti was Whole Clams in Delicate Broth which again pretty bland in taste for me. Sorry that I have a thick tongue :p

Capricciosa-12

Above: Whole Clams in Delicate Broth (RM14.90)

However, I feel the Fettucine and Pappardelle was different story, made fresh from the open area in front of the restaurant. Fully recommended !

Capricciosa-15

Above: Amatriciana Fettucine with Eggplant and Bacon (RM24.90)

Capricciosa-14

Above: Pappardelle with Porcini and Eringi Mushroom in Cream Sauce (RM27.90)

Capricciosa-21

Above: Freshly made pasta daily

For desserts, we had the default choice Tiramisu. The Tiramisu here was very rich with "mascarpone" but lacked the alcohol bitterness. Since the restaurant is heading towards the Halal status, I guess that’s the compromise that we have to make, so it can be excused :-)

Capricciosa-19

Above: Homemade Tiramisu (RM16.90)

Capricciosa-20

Above: Homemade Pumpkin Pie (RM8.90) – for the pumpkin lovers

Last but not least, something you MUST HAVE here ->  Affogato !! Great coffee with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream, caramel drizzles, chocolate sauce and a blob of whipped cream on top and it’s transformed to heavenly. Yes, heavenly would just be the right word to describe the feeling of drinking the amazing concoction. The coffee was strong and bitter, but the sweet caramel and chocolate sauce balanced out the flavours. 100% Recommended !! The best Affogato so far ! The best part, it's just RM6.90 !

Capricciosa-1

Above: Affogato (RM6.90) – deserves a 5-star rating

Capricciosa-2

Above: Pina Colada Soda (RM7.90)

Capricciosa-3

Above: Fruit Punch (RM7.90)

Capricciosa-5

Above: Comfortable dining environment of Capricciosa

Capricciosa-4

Above: Capricciosa at Sunway Pyramid

Address:

Capricciosa (opposite J.Co Donuts)
OB3.LG2.2 Sunway Pyramid Shopping Mall
Bandar Sunway,
Selangor, Malaysia.
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/capricciosamalaysia

25 comments:

  1. Everything here looks wonderful. :) Homemade Tiramisu looks crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course Affogato looks delicous too..but what are in this dessert?

    ReplyDelete
  3. eee! black color one! not sure if i dare to try it! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. what tempting me so much here is the homemade tiramisu!! i want that!!! >.<

    ReplyDelete
  5. the first dish is @@

    dont worry, i love having cheese overdose! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. @tekkaus, yep Affogato is the best. I'm going there tmr just to have Affogato !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @caroline, haha yea i also dont think i'll order that and have it all myself. It's good for sharing, I suppose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Their tiramisu tastes different, which is a good dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything- from the food down to the venue- looks amazing. Nice shots of the place. It's definitely a must-try.

    herbal supplements online

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's nice. I think your restaurant is kind of unique in some ways. I can't imagine a Japanese making an Italian cuisine.

    italian ingredients

    ReplyDelete
  11. Combining both cuisine can produce delicious food. I always love eating desserts and pastas, but I'm having problems with my health. That's why I'm considering gluten-free desserts and pastas.

    gluten free desserts

    ReplyDelete
  12. The four cheese looks so good, I'd be sure to drop by when I do get the extra time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love black pasta, it looks very delicious. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These dishes are so mouth watering, great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome pictures, they really look great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Capricciosa's dishes look so marvelous. I think they did a great job mashing Italian Cuisine with Japanese cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I ate there and the pasta was great. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They're going to be great in a food catering service. Combining both cuisine is definitely a good idea.
    catering nyc

    ReplyDelete
  19. This would be perfect for my wedding. I've been thinking of what food should I serve and I believe this is the perfect recipe.
    long island weddings

    ReplyDelete
  20. That squid ink spaghetti looks pretty perfect. I love how they make it so creamy but not too much overflowing.
    corporate catering

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd like to try making pizza filled with tuna meat. I am planning to stay away from red meat for a while because I'm on a diet.
    How To Get Ripped Fast

    ReplyDelete
  22. Everything looks so delicious. I would want to try to dine-in in this restaurant. The pizza and the dessert looks heavenly. Your post made me hungry.

    best restaurants in hampton roads

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds interesting and yummy too, Can you also recommend some more combos in international cuisines

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great way to a man's heart! Please share some more recipes

    ReplyDelete